Saturday, December 31, 2016

Covenants

McKenna,

As I think about all the things I want to tell you before you leave my "nest" I can think of at least a hundred things I want you yo know. However really, it all comes down to one thing..... Temple covenants. 
I know you have had to listen to my rants about how I love the temple but I want to make sure you really know why. 

I will admit that when I went through the temple for the first time, and even several times after that- I really didnt understand the power that can come from the covenants I had made. I knew it was what I was supposed to do, and wanted to do but, didnt fully understand. 

I remember when things really stared to get tough and i didnt know where to get peace. Peace from my worries, my thoughts, my fears,,,,I started attending the temple more and more. I would go fasting, looking for answers but only expecting peace. It never failed, Id feel peace every time. 

I have so many experiences that I have written down in my temple journal that one day you will have. I just know McKenna, that there is no other way to find peace, to receive the fullness of His love, His presence and His will for you, than at the temple.  

When i felt I had just lost everything, when divorce was looking more and more real, I was scared. Scared for my children and their future. I remember as I was participating in the endowment session, I felt an overwhelming peace that everything was gong to be ok because I had kept my covenants. That my children were gong to be ok because I had kept my covenants. I knew that the road would be hard but I had faith in those promises made to me. 

I know that you are gong to be busy, but please, nothing will be more powerful to help you through school than that will of the power that comes from attending the temple. 

When you find someone to share a future with one day, I hope that you will have quickly observed if he loves the temple. If he does BEFORE he is married then he will after. 
You too need to be solid in your testimony of temple worship. Its the most solid basis to build your relationship on. But you must first love it before you love a man.

Elder John J Featherstone says that even the very elect hearts will fail them if they
 do not worship in the temple often. The very elect! Think about that. You cant afford to let this slip by. Dont for one second think that you cant serve there now or think that you are too busy. I promise you, as your mother, that if you make it a habit and first in your life, you sill see miracles in your life mckenna, you will always have what you need and you will not need to fear in anyway because you will have confidence in the blessings thatcovenants.



Now a different aspect relating to covenants. Id like you to consider how much you value your baptismal covenants. How much do you think about them during the day? I would like to invite you to ponder this and recognize just how much or how little they enter you mind each day
I bring this up because something very valuable I learned these past few years is this: I have come to love God because I have come to value my covenants. When temptation arises I will immediately think about my covenants and how much they mean to me, how much I need the blessings and the choice becalmed easy. For example, I love coffee- really I do. Used to drink it in high school and just love it. I was cleaning a clients house and he had a pot of coffee waiting for me and offfered it. I said yes and the cup of amazing warm coffee was sitting there waiting for me. He left the room so he wouldn't have even seen me drink it. I started to justify that it's not a big deal and its better than coke. (Which I do think it is ha)  but that didn't matter- it was against the commandments. I felt a love for God at that moment and a desire not to loose any blessings- I loved God more than i wanted a drink of coffee.
When you face choices in your life, if you learn to value your covenants more than anything else, you will love God more than anything else. The choices that seem so hard to make will not be hard anymore.














No comments:

Post a Comment